It's good to be back. With the exception of my review posts, I have pretty much given myself a break from writing this month, which was a good decision. Not only did it allow me to do some much needed work on the home, it has also given me some time to reflect and think for myself, not so I could come up with something to post every day. It was a much needed time for me.
But that doesn't mean that I wasn't busy! Here's my update on last month's goals:
1. Keep having date nights every Wednesday with my husband.
We did go out every Wednesday but never did get a "plan" together so we would sometimes just sit around. However, that was probably okay too as we were both pretty exhausted and were not up to doing a whole lot of thinking. The important thing was that we actually were together. Never mind being productive. We'll get back to our plans starting in October.
2. Dates with each of my children. I really need to do this one.
Nothing fancy, but very good. This was probably the best thing I did the whole month. Often times, it was tied to an errand I had to run. We just tacked on a special treat. The best time I had was talking with Matthew about a special project that he wanted to work on.
3. Go through the boxes in the garage and purge, sort, and organize.
This is my hugest accomplishment. I went through every single box in our house and purged about 30% of it. Things actually fit in our house and I only have a few boxes of decorations and extra items in the garage (instead of taking up most of the space!) Needless to say, my husband is very happy.
4. Prepare ourselves for Anah's arrival into the family, starting with a family Sabbath and extended time with the Lord: August 4.
We took our kids out to the local botanical gardens and gave them some time to think about and share their thoughts about Anah's upcoming arrival. Despite the hot weather, it was good to be outside and spend time with one another and with the Lord.
5. Attend bridal showers and weddings.
So thankful that the Lord arranged these into my schedule to force me to stop working on the house. Even today I'll be at a wedding. I believe the Lord putting it on my heart to seriously consider how I might mentor and encourage these young women as they step into their work as wife, and perhaps one day, mother as well. (Just one of the things I have been reflecting on...)
6. Memorize the rest of Ephesians 5.
I did it! I'm going to spend September reviewing all I've been memorizing before tackling chapter 6, as I am finding myself forgetting the earlier chapters.
7. Read at least one book, TBD.
I ended up reading Disciple Like Jesus for Parents by Alan Melton and Paul Dean and am just starting I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. Although it is a TOS review book, I am reading it for myself.
8. Continue testing and writing reviews for Schoolhouse Crew.
I completed five reviews and started working on a bunch more.
9. Meet with moms at church one Sunday, by end of month.
Didn't get to this one. It may have to wait.
10. Blog as I can, at least 2 times per week.
Does blogging my reviews count? =) Not what I had planned though... Oh well.
11. Catch up on health appointments for myself and the kids.
The kids and I all had our dental checkups, health exams and flu shots. Hooray!
On to September!
I like having a shorter list. This month's may even be shorter!
1. Continue reading about Chinese history in Story of the World. We have gone through half of it so far. Hopefully we can read a little more before we hop on that plane!
2. Write out my course of study for each of my kids before we leave. I have a mental idea but not written out.
3. Learn how to use my new laptop so I can blog on our trip!
4. Prepare a few freezer meals so I don't have to cook when I get back home.
5. Enjoy our time together as a family as we travel.
6. Get to know Anah!
7. Read Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I can't believe I haven't read it yet.
That's about it for this month. I will blog when I can, but I trust that you understand why things may be a bit sparse!
Heavenly Father, I praise You for all that You have helped us to accomplish this month. It may not be a lot, but for me it has been significant. For this I give you thanks. As we look into another busy but highly significant month in the history of our family, I pray that You will be glorified first and foremost. In Jesus' name, Amen.