Well, it appears that we are getting the first rain of the season here in California (though it's supposed to be sunny and in the mid-80s again this weekend!). All morning, it has rained very steadily. Just as fall is a transition month into the colder winter season, it seems like we are entering into a transition of our own in the Christian home. When it rains, it pours! As we prepare for the anticipated arrival of Anah, and as we are slowing down in the amount of paperwork that needs to be done, we started revisiting the idea of moving again. Last spring (2010), we put our house up on the market for about 10 months, with the hopes of selling it so we could move closer to our church family. After prepping and showing our home, we got a total of....zero offers. Finally in February of this year, we decided to take it off the market just so we wouldn't have to live like guests in our own home.
It was right after this decision that the opportunity to adopt came up. In hindsight, we realized that perhaps this was God's intent in the first place. To be honest, I wasn't all that excited about putting the house up on the market but wanted to follow where my husband thought God was leading us. I have to admit that I was a bit grumpy when it came to looking at new homes and vacating our house so potential buyers could view ours.
But anyways, we realized that perhaps if we were busy moving and all that, we would probably not be available to even consider adopting. Who knows? Maybe preventing our house from selling was part of God's plan after all.
However, now, we have sensed that once again, we are to put our house up on the market and look for a new home. As we sat down and looked at our calendars, we realized that given the possibility that we might need to travel for Anah in the spring and that Dan had a very busy month in January at work, we needed to make our move by...the end of THIS year! Yikes!
Counting in escrow time, we realized that the very latest we could put our house up for sale was mid-October (which is next weekend!). On paper, the plan is to put the house on sale for one month. If it did not sell in that time, we would stay where we are and work with the house we have.
And so, this week of break from school, along with the CT scan business, I have been packing things like mad so we could clear out some furniture. What works for us may not be conducive to a potential buyer! We rented a storage unit for this one month and plan on just putting stuff in there so that our house can look as big as possible. (That's what a real estate friend of mine told me to do last time but I didn't take her advice.)
As I was putting things in boxes today, I was thinking, "This is crazy! We don't even have a house yet! Here we are packing stuff away!" But perhaps that is the point. This whole thing is not going to work unless God pulls through for us.
This morning, I was reading in James 2 and came to verse 17 which says, "...faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action is dead." And in verse 18b it goes on to say, "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." Yes, this is crazy, but for us, we are realizing that this time, instead of being motivated by personal desires, we are stepping out in faith. Like Elijah before the prophets of Baal (see the exciting story in 1 Kings 18), we sometimes feel like we are pouring water on the altar and trusting that God is going to answer.
Already, this adoption journey has challenged us to step out in ways that we would never have anticipated, doing things we wouldn't do otherwise. It is definitely the ride of our life! But at the same time, I also know that if this is the plan of God, His fingerprints are going to be all over it and we need not fear.
Somehow, the idea of moving isn't as difficult for me this time around. In fact, I have been enjoying the process of packing up things and working with my husband to get the house ready for viewing. We met with our realtors today and signed most of the paperwork needed to get the house listed by next weekend. We also made plans to look at some homes this Friday. Instead of dread, I am actually excited about this, wondering what God is going to do? I know that either way, whether we stay or move, we will be taken care of. I really don't mind staying if that is what the Lord has for us.
How about you? Is the Lord inviting you to take a step of faith with Him? While we cannot always see what will happen, one thing is for certain: the Lord is mighty, He is loving, His ways are perfect and He is always on time. I hope you'll join with me in this adventure of seeing what our God will do!