To those of you who read my blog faithfully, thank you for doing so. I apologize that this month has been a little sparse in posts. It has been that kind of season. Most of the time, I feel like I am in way over my head---trying to catch up while life keeps zooming full-speed ahead. I thought that the summer will provide some much needed downtime, and it has to a certain extent, but with kids, it also means lots of summer activities. Thankfully, swimming lessons have come to an end and we have even started up with our new school year a little, so things are settling down again...and I can write! So thanks for being patient and understanding. Well, it is almost midway through August, and I didn't have a chance to look over my goals from July, but better late than never, right? I didn't realize how important this discipline was for me. I definitely felt like I was wandering a lot the past few weeks, uncertain of what I was supposed to be working on. So hopefully I can still move forward even though the month is almost half gone!
Last month, I wanted to...
Memorize half of Philippians 4. I'm getting there! Read half of Acts. Read Souvenirs of Solitude by Brennan Manning.Excellent book...must do a review for it soon! I also was able to read Richard Foster's Sanctuary of the Soul on meditative prayer. Have one date each with Jonathan and Anah individually during our week at family camp.One of those funny moments: while out eating ice cream with Jonathan at the Fountain (Mt. Hermon campers will know where that is!), my husband walks in, barefoot. Apparently, Anah had locked him out of our cabin, and he came looking for me to get my key! go out with Matthew for lunch
- finish portfolios and report cards for this year
- finalize Janna's high school transcript thus far
finalize course of study for all kids for this school year plan for the first 9-12 weeks of our school year for each of the kidsGot through five weeks of plans each for Jon and Matthew.
- blog about four times on non-review subjects (about once a week). Sorry...obviously I didn't get to that. I am making plans for this month, though!
This month, I would like to:
- Finish memorizing Philippians!
- Finish reading Acts.
- Read Disciplines of a Godly Family by Kent and Barbara Hughes.
- Go out on a date with Anah.
- Finish portfolios and report cards.
- Finish Janna's transcript.
- Plan out posts for the next two months---reviews, themes, and personal posts.
- General ideas for our homeschool group's preschool
- Contact each mom in our homeschool moms' support group
- Set up prayer partners for support group, set dates for quarterly events, and generate a list of possible topics to discuss
- Find 10 new dinner recipes
- Find 5-10 quick breakfast recipes
- Find 5-10 lunch ideas
- Plan the next 5 weeks of classes for kids
This month's list is a little longer, but I am hoping to get some of the big pieces of our routine set up as we get started for the school year. Each of my kids are at a major transition point---Janna is finishing high school, Matthew is starting middle school, Jonathan is starting kindergarten, and Anah will be starting school here. So I am looking for ways to keep the house and kids running smoothly. Hopefully, the Lord will inspire me with some ideas!
Thank You, Lord for new beginnings. Show me how to arrange our home, routines, and schedule to best care for the family You have given me. Amen.